Saturday, November 27, 2010

My practice of non-attachment

Since last few months, I have been doing manana (manana is a Sanskrit word for reflection, understanding, thoughtfulness, meditation) on attachment or rather non-attachment. Anytime, I'm out at the mall and something attracts my eyes, I'm able to stop myself and ask this question, "Would owning this thing make me more complete?". Of course the answer is always no and so I move on without buying it. 


I've notices a shift in my personality because of this. Last week I found that my yoga eye bag that was a gift from one of my favorite yoga teachers was destroyed. Normally, that would have made me very upset or bummed for days. I was shocked to see it destroyed but I also was able to calmly pick it up and trash it. I was happily surprised at my reaction or lack of it. A few weeks ago, my other eye bag was destroyed as well. So now I'm left with no eye bags. a year ago I would have ordered a new one right away or would have began thinking about what kind of eye bag should I get next. That thought hasn't crossed my mind yet.


When Apoorva, our son, moved out in October the first few days felt really weird knowing he will not come back at night. I again surprised myself as how quickly I was able to let him go.


Oh about the eye bag that was a gift, I threw it in the trash can of our bathroom. every time I stepped into the bathroom I was able to look at it without getting bummed. My little practice on non-attachment brought a smile to my face. Is this attachment to non-attachment? Is that even possible? I don't know.


I sincerely wish I can continue this practice and bring in to the other bigger aspects of personal and professional life.


Namaste!
नमस्ते! 

1 comment:

  1. You've brought up a thought that has never occurred to me--attachment to non-attachment! Something to contemplate.

    ReplyDelete