Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Bhujangasana - Cobra


Yesterday for the first time I tried this pose with elbows straight. It felt amazing! I have always practiced the pose with elbows bent. Almost all books, article, teachers I have read or practiced with have taught it with elbows bent. I had never thought of practicing with straight elbows until I read instructions from BKS Iyengar in his book, Light on Yoga. I couldn't believe how light it felt in the lower back!

Some other tips to try:
  • Lift one leg at a time and stretch towards the wall behind you before lifting up in the pose. This gets your legs in internal rotation so that the legs are resting on top of the thighs.
  • While coming up, lead with your heart and not head. Most students bring the head up before lifting shoulders and back. Instead, keep your head and neck aligned with your spine and let it rise along with your body.
More about alignment of cervical spine in backbends next time.
Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment